Defining features of a blog
Here's a summary of the main features of a blog:
- individual dated entries comprised of text, hyperlinks to external websites and other media, and, occasionally, images;
- reverse chronological arrangement of entries that places the most recent entry at the top of the page;
- easy-to-use interface that allows users to upload and edit entries through their web browser;
- secondary content made possible through a comments box after each entry allowing others to respond to primary content;
- search function (not enabled on all blogging software);
- automatic archiving of entries according to month and year (also not enabled on all blogging software);
- informal environment with low barriers to contributing;
- possible prior student familiarity through growing popularity of social software/Web 2.0.
Create your own blog with Blogger.com
Resources & Links
Dickey, M. D. (2004) The impact of web-logs (blogs) on student perceptions of isolation and alienation in a web-based distance-learning environment. Open Learning, 19(3) 279-292
Nückles, M. et al. (2004). The use of public learning diaries in blended learning. Journal of Educational Media, 29 (1), 49-66
Weller, M. et al. (2005).Use of innovative technologies on an e-learning course. Internet and Higher Education, 8, 61–71
Williams, J. B. and Jacobs, J. (2004). Exploring the use of blogs as learning spaces in the higher education sector. Australasian Journal of Educational Technology, 20(2), 232-247.